Thursday, July 19, 2012

VICTORIA

                                           Victoria Everett, Before and After

I watched a video on YouTube a week or so ago featuring Victoria telling her story.  When she said the voices went away, I was stunned. 

My youngest brother whom I call Dano, has been schizophrenic all his adult life.  He's presently living in a group home for defective people and is practically a zombie from all the meds he is on to control "the voices" and other chronic problems associated with a dissolute existence.  Until Victoria mentioned her own voices leaving, well, the stun I felt was the return of hope for Dano.

Her video on YouTube:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkpEtpZ5bQ

In the video, she invited correspondence, so I wrote her about how wonderful it was to hear about her return to Health and the renewal of hope for my brother Dano.  I just heard back from her this morning (she'd been camping).  Her letter (email) was warm and personal, wishing the best for Dano and giving more detail on how it worked for her.  I am so grateful to have found this person.  Here's an excerpt from her letter...

"Since I am not a doctor I cannot say what will work for other people with schizophrenia, all I say is that eating a diet made up of only fruits and vegetables is the only thing that works for me. Certain foods will trigger the voices again.

Oils
Overeating fats, such as nuts and seeds. I have to be real careful and eat sparingly.
Gluten
All dairy products

It is so very wonderful to be able to live a happy fulfilling life. Once the voices went away I spent a year studying and learning about emotional stability and balance because I found that my emotions were very childlike. It is pretty much impossible to mature emotionally when there is constant chaos going on in your head."

Also in her video, she mentioned she would soon have a website up and running.  And so she does:   http://crazybananalady.org/

Her story is inspiring.  Not least for the resurgence of hope that Dano can yet be saved and returned to the bright funny guy he was before the schizophrenia attacked and warped his brain.  The presumption is that it's never too late.  That goes for all of us fat sick and tired people who want to get better.

Never Too Late:
I am 67 on August 10th.
Rando is 63.
Dano is 60 on August 4th.

cheers, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment