Monday, July 9, 2012

WITHOUT CHEESE


                                    
I should talk about how all this got started (Besides my doctor admonishing me that I might not live out the year at the rate I was going, and changes to my evil ways had to be made “right now.”  He scared me.  You might say he awakened me.  That was the day I stopped drinking.) and how bro Rando got me going by giving me a way-to-proceed in telling me about that film I’ve mentioned before, “Fat Sick & Nearly Dead.”



Rando is just about as fat as I am and has perceived the need for and desirability of recovery.  I’m certainly  happy that he thought of me, too.  Perhaps we’ll be long-distance partners in this adventure.  At least that’s kind of the way things are developing, and part of the reason for this blog.  We’re talking a lot about it on the phone, trading recommendations for films, books and websites that promote Health.  I use the capital “H” because this is about true Health, not the kind of health as in “health-care industry.” 



M.D.’s are trained to practice medicine, not Health.  They thrive by treating the symptoms of mostly diet-related chronic illnesses.  Big Pharma, Big Ag, Big Beef & Dairy, Big Business, and the government policies that the Bigs bought, wouldn’t have it any other way.  They keep building hospitals as “temples to the diseases they create.”*  Job security, hey?



Rando and I are, of course, still in the R&D phase, i.e., warming up.  I don’t know if he has set a date yet, but then he has different considerations such as family, and his practice.



Naming Names:  Also fat is my ol’ pal Dave, now in the Bay Area on the other coast.  So I sent him Fuhrman’s book, Eat to Live, and a couple of the videos that are informing Rando and me.  He’s got a serious ice cream habit and the (Rx) medicine he smokes all day doesn’t help his cravings.  His feet hurt and he needs this program, too, before things get really ugly like they did for me after losing confidence in Western medicine to relieve the pain and depression that have dominated my life since my hip surgeries (more on that another time).   He seems to be interested.  He just needs to get desperate enough. 



And there’s my Auntie B.  She been struggling for a long time now.  So I sent her the book, too.  I’d like her feel better and stay with us a good while longer.  Even tho’ she’s in her eighties now, there’s no reason she can’t turn around and become a centarian.  C’Mon Bettye!  You guys, Nancy, Larry, Carol, Simon…  help me out here – she’s your mother.



I wish I’d known more about this stuff five years ago – it might have given my own mother, Bettye’s older sister by 5 years, a shot at that hundred-year mark, too.



Got an email from an old monastery pal saying he’s going to run with the bulls, left yesterday for Spain.  He’s been on a Health program since last I saw him fat and not happy about it.  He said an old girlfriend told him, “Nothing is as tasty as healthy feels...”



Cheers, BC

* from Val Kilmer’s rant in the Bob Dylan film, “Masked and Anonymous”





“There’s no money in healthy people.  Or dead people.  The money’s in the middle.”

~ Bill Mahr, in “Forks Over Knives”




No comments:

Post a Comment